Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day Six: Michael Bullen

Photobucket

Michael use to be the type of guy I avoided, the type of guy I thought would live in the woods out west surviving on dead sheep and 1080 pellets, a real mountain man. These were my thoughts when first seeing him roam the AUT halls, my first weeks starting he would appear and reappear four or fives times a day. Paranoid, I thought he might be following me so I attempted to confront this issue, face on. I found him in the computer room a usual Thursday surrounded by a herd of Macs. He was trapped back against the wall as he typed away with one uncut black mop and two brown farmers boots.

One me, fifty Macs and Him.

I jabbed him on the shoulder with a stubby first year finger.
Twisting on his swivel seat, A thick black bearded face looked up tangled like gorse around a masked pale face, eyes looking up, he smiled a maniacs smile. I discovered he wasn't from the mountains, no maniac and really just a seriously funny Graphic Designer. Since then we have cracked a few jokes, drank and shared awkward stares but as his days at AUT start to wind down, I began to wonder what was next after graduation for Michael? I found him a year later in the computer room, Jabbing a slimmer second year finger I asked...


Tell us a little about yourself and what you do?
Well I was brought up in Papua New Guinea but since the age of four (and a half) I've called Auckland home. It was from a young age that I wanted to be an architect so I took subjects that related to this throughout school, and in 6th form I decided I actually wanted to pursue graphic design. So that brought me to AUT where I study graphic design, which is where I am currently situated. My spare time is generally spent on a leather chair in front of my computer creating vector art and music.

What are the plans after graduation this year?
Well I have a feeling the plans will depend on me being employed. So if I obtain a job, I will go wherever that takes me and if that doesn't work out I want to learn two languages and travel. I have been thinking about maybe doing post grad, but I don't think I will.

What are your thoughts on the art scene in Auckland?
I'm not really involved in the art scene, so I dont really have many thoughts about it. I like those power/electricity boxes that get painted, we need more art like that around the entire Auckland region.

How are you finding your last year of AUT?
When I get my end of year results I will let you know. Up to this point in time I have to say I enjoyed my first two years more, but I have had some good advice this year and this second semester should be interesting.

What is inspiration for you?
I think that everything I have ever experienced that my brain has managed to store would be my inspiration. Sounds like a really generic answer, but i think it would be hard to break inspiration down to a couple of occurrences.

Finally being a man of creativity can you tell me a story?
This is based on a true story. My cat took a dump outside my parents bedroom door the other night, and mother stood in it. Maturity level declining.

*Photography based on the idea of unused space.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

http://theobeliskcooperative.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment